Джон Арне Рийзе

Гост S.Gerrard

Препоръчан пост

Гост Red One

Отсега се радвам като си представя как ще бъде посрещнат на Анфийлд. Голяма грешка с продажбата му. Огромна. Хич нямаше да се стига до какви ли не експерименти, ако беше останал при нас. Игра в Рома три години и сега е на 30. В каква възраст сме го продали само...

Сподели другаде

Гост lpoolfc

Продадохме Рийзе за 5.5 милиона,а миналата година взехме Кончески за 4.5... направо уникални трансфери направихме в периода 2008-2010.Eдва ли някой друг голям отбор е правил толкова несполучливи трансфери :doubledown:

Сподели другаде

• 2 weeks later...
Гост Liverbird

Riise on Rafa, leaving and his OG

John Arne Riise has taken his seat for an interview with Liverpoolfc.tv but our cameras are not yet rolling.

The 30-year-old is wearing a white cap and a good lathering of suntan lotion, necessary precautions at this time of year in the Algarve, where celebrities and footballers are competing in the Steven Gerrard Foundation golf tournament.

There isn't a cloud in the sky and the prevailing silence is broken only by the metallic ping of club on ball and the occasional whine of a golf buggy. But serenity is about to be interrupted.

The tune is instantly familiar to any Liverpool fan. The words are too. You'd probably even recognise the singer. It is DJ Spoony who begins wailing the Kop's adaptation of Bruce Channel's Hey Baby, the one which enquires how Riise scored THAT goal. Another golfer joins in and soon Ginge (as his former teammates call him) is singing and clapping along, his face smothered by glee.

In that moment it becomes apparent how fondly he remembers Liverpool fans and his seven years on Merseyside, and over the next half an hour this feeling and his disappointment at leaving will be alluded to in almost every one of his answers.

"I do miss the city and the fans," says Riise, speaking a few weeks before completing a move from Roma to Fulham. "When I left (in 2008) I was sad, I was disappointed - not only at Rafa, at that time, but also with myself because I didn't do as much as I could have done to stay longer.

"When you've been somewhere for seven years you get so comfy. I was too happy with my position and I didn't work as hard as I could. I was too settled, I didn't think I had to work that hard. I regret that now - hopefully I won't regret it too much.

"I didn't want to go. I had a chat with (Rafael) Benitez. He said to me straight out that next year he was going to buy another left-back and my future was not there. It was quite straightforward and I respected that he was honest and told me so I could sort things out, because there was no way I could have stayed there another year and not played.

"He spent so much money on Andrea Dossena and I knew he was going to give him a lot of chances, even though I thought I was a better player than him.

"I don't think there have been many left-backs to replace me since then. Not many have adapted to the English game and last season there was (Paul) Konchesky and I don't think he played."

It is a decade since a 20-year-old Riise arrived on Merseyside from Monaco for a fee of approximately £4million tasked with improving a team that had just won a treble.

"I was a young lad at the time and nobody expected anything," he recalls. "It's harder when you go to a club and everyone expects you to play good. So I just went there with no pressure and just trying to do my stuff.

"I wanted to be respected for who I was. So in the first running session, I was the fittest player there, so I ran the most. And I tackled straight away because I wanted to be respected. And it worked. Both Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy told me that's the reason I got into the group so quick because I worked so hard."

With his new teammates won over, Riise was about to find acceptance among the patrons of Anfield.

Contrary to popular belief, it was a strike at Goodison in September 2001 when he turned Steve Watson that first prompted Kopites to ask how he scored THAT goal - though an unstoppable free-kick against Manchester United six weeks later ensured it was sung with greater fervour.

"I didn't know that it was my song. It's hard to hear sometimes when the fans are singing because it's so loud and the accent is different," says Riise. "After the game they told me that so many people were singing this song about me and it just gave me this tremendous will to give something back, so I hope I did. There aren't many people who get their own song, especially at Liverpool.

"I think it (the Man Utd free-kick) was the best goal I ever scored - definitely the most important one in my career with Liverpool because it got me into the hearts of the Liverpool fans and it proved I could do stuff.

"It's been mentioned a few times after as well."

Ten years on from all this, having written his own little chapter in Liverpool history, Riise is back in English football having signed for Fulham, where he'll work under Martin Jol.

His first opportunity to join the London club came prior to Liverpool displaying their interest in the summer of 2001.

"I was very close to signing for Fulham but Gerard Houllier called my agent and said he wanted me," remembers Riise, who was invited for a tour of Anfield with Houllier and his assistant Phil Thompson.

"It was quite an easy choice when I saw the stadium and I knew the reputation of the club. Gerard taught me a lot and he gave me the confidence to play. He gave me another chance if I got something wrong, so I have a lot to thank him for."

Without Houllier's intervention, Riise's career would have taken a very different path - but the full-back is philosophical when he looks back on the Frenchman's departure from Anfield in 2004.

For Riise, the heart surgery which prompted an enforced sabbatical in 2001-02 was the beginning of the end of Houllier's reign.

"After he got sick things changed a little bit," says the 96-time Norway international.

"At first it was quite a shock (when he came back for the Roma match in 2002) because he had changed so much during his illness, body-wise.

"I think it took him a while to get back to his normal self because after what he had gone through he had to take it slowly.

"I think every club needs a change sometimes and it was good for Liverpool. I didn't want him to go because I was happy with him but the club needed a change."

While Houllier was reputed to have a close, almost fatherly relationship with his players, Benitez is sometimes portrayed - rightly or wrongly - as a colder presence in the dressing room.

So what differences did Riise notice?

"It was quite similar, actually," he says. "He (Benitez) was very powerful, a very strong person and we won some trophies under him. He gave me the best trophy I could win as a club footballer, the Champions League, so he's a manager I'll never say anything bad about."

Winning a fifth European Cup had been inconceivable at the start of Benitez's first season in charge, even more so when results started going badly in the group stages, but an unforgettable victory over Olympiacos teed up a last 16 clash with Bayer Leverkusen. Juventus were next to be dispatched, stunned into submission early doors at Anfield. Then it was Chelsea, and in the words of Riise, no one expected Liverpool to prevail.

"I remember the official putting six minutes on the clock and it was the longest six minutes in the world," he recalls.

"The atmosphere was unbelievable. I was down in my underpants after the game because I gave everything to the fans. That night will never be forgotten and in the dressing room it was crazy."

A model pro on and off the pitch, Riise was a favourite among Liverpoolfc.tv journalists during his Anfield years because a/ he always turned up early, and b/ he usually had something interesting to say.

Today is no different, and the defender is happy to go wherever our questions take him. But it is only when the events of May 25, 2005 are mentioned that he becomes restless in his chair.

"I was thinking of going home after that first half, it was horrible" says Riise, when asked about his mindset after goals from Paolo Maldini and Hernan Crespo (2) gave AC Milan a 3-0 lead.

"I don't think we played that badly, they just scored with every chance they had."

What occurred in the Liverpool dressing room during the 15-minute interval has been the subject to speculation and wonder ever since, even inspiring a full-length feature film.

Two questions often arise. The first is what Benitez said to his troops.

"He changed the system a little bit, changed a couple of players and he told us to listen to the fans," says Riise. "We started listening to the singing then, because we didn't before the game.

"He just told us to get that first goal and it can't get any worse. If you lose 3-0 or 6-0 it's the same thing so just play.

"At the end of Benitez talking we could hear the fans singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and that gave everyone a boost. We went out there fired up and trying to get that first goal as soon as possible."

The second question often put to those who were present in the guts of the Ataturk Stadium is whether, as legend would have it, the Milan players were celebrating.

"I didn't speak Italian then but I do now and there were a few people saying that this game was over, which was obvious because they were winning 3-0 and playing so good," reports Riise.

"But the game wasn't over, and it was very nice to beat them after we saw that.

"That's something special about Liverpool, you never give up."

Riise played his part in the comeback by providing the cross for Steven Gerrard's headed goal which made it 3-1.

He then volunteered to take a penalty after 120 minutes of sporting theatre failed to establish a winner.

"Coming to penalties I was quite confident we were going to win it," says Riise, who by this stage was Liverpool's No.6, having worn No.18 through the Houllier era.

"I had cramp before the penalty and I was thinking of blasting it but I was scared of getting my cramp back. I didn't notice Dida had gone the same side for every penalty before me. I think I hit it quite well but he just got a hand on it.

"Stevie (Gerrard) came up and gave me a clap on the back. At that time you think the worst but it didn't take long to turn to happiness."

Happiness is surely underplaying it, especially as in his next answer Riise describes that evening in Turkey as the best night of his footballing life - although incredibly he has never watched the game back.

Within a year of Istanbul, Ginge and his teammates were in another final and again it proved to be a Did that just happen? occasion as Gerrard inspired another miraculous turnaround before penalties decided the destination of the 2006 FA Cup.

"I was the first one to go up to Benitez to tell him I wanted to take the fourth penalty because I'd taken the fourth in Istanbul," explains Riise, who averaged just under 50 games a season in his time with the Reds. "There was no doubt about what I was going to do this time.

"They (his teammates) didn't say anything. Nothing. I was just thinking about kicking that ball as hard as I could so, even if the keeper got to it, it would have been a goal."

Riise's theory proved correct and he could now add the FA Cup to his CV alongside the League Cup (2003), Champions League and Super Cup (2001 and 2005).

This list of honours is impressive enough to cope with a European Cup final defeat to AC Milan in 2007, but little did the defender know that he was about to enter his final campaign in L4.

It may never be known exactly why Benitez decided to invest in a new left-back but a costly own-goal during another Champions League semi-final with Chelsea in 2008 may well have sealed Riise's fate.

It's a night he thinks about a lot.

"One second of bad judgement killed me," he says. "I was thinking about kicking it with my right foot or getting it away with a header. It skidded off my head and went into the top corner. It was a great goal but too bad it was in the wrong end.

"There and then I was very, very much down.

"It was a difficult three or four days. People come up and clap you on the back and say don't worry but how often do you end up in a Champions league final? I knew I had let the team down, the fans down and I had let myself down. I was not a person to talk to for the next three or four days.

"I regret doing it because I let so many people down and I think we could have won it that year. But I learnt from it and I grew from it and I'm a better person and player now."

Benitez had yet to reveal his intentions in the transfer market, but it was at this point Riise knew he was fighting for his Anfield future.

"I never thought I would be leaving at the end of the season but obviously after that own goal I scored against Chelsea I knew the pressure was going to be on," he says. "I thought, 'Next season, I'm going to have to really step it up.'"

But next season never happened, at least not for Riise and Liverpool. As stated, he respected Benitez's honesty at the time, though he was distressed at not being given the opportunity to bid farewell to the Kop nor play the two games required to reach 350 for the club.

Though he is now at Fulham, the thought of joining another English club didn't appeal to Riise in 2008 and he signed for Serie A side Roma.

"At that point I couldn't go to another English club because I loved Liverpool so much and I didn't want to compete with them," he says.

With just one year remaining on his contract in the Italian capital, Riise decided to return to the English game this summer following months of speculation which even included rumours of a possible return to Liverpool. He admits to being 'glad' at hearing such tittle tattle and that 'you can never say never' - though any prospect of a second coming now seems to be gone.

So how would the man himself like to be remembered by Liverpool fans?

"How? Not that own goal, that's for sure," he laughs. "I think as a guy who came and gave 110 per cent no matter what, a nice guy, loyal and never gave up. I tried to prove I was good enough and I hope I did that."

With the interview complete, all that's left is to ask Riise for another rendition of THAT song - this time with the cameras switched on.

"No, no, no!" he says. "I'll have to come back and score a goal at Anfield, then you might hear it, but I'm not singing on TV. I might later tonight though!"

Сподели другаде

Гост Guido

ех ех какъв ляв бек имахме ако дебелия травестит небеше го продал за да купи мегазвездата досена сега нямаше да търсим ляв бек

Сподели другаде

• 9 months later...
Гост Challenger1

Riise's message to Reds fans

John Arne Riise described Liverpool supporters as the 'best fans in the world' after the warm reception they afforded the Norwegian upon his first return to Anfield on Tuesday night.

The 31-year-old may have helped Fulham to a 1-0 victory against the Reds, but the Kop were eager to show their appreciation for the seven years of service he gave to the club, which included 348 appearances and 31 goals between 2001 and 2008.

Reds fans chanted Riise's name as the teams prepared to get the second half underway, and the defender was left overwhelmed by the response he received.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I didn't know what to expect really, and then I came out and they started singing (my name).

"I got goose bumps down my back and I was really thankful and grateful for that kind of response.

"They proved they are the best fans in the world and they never forget what players do for the team and I am really thankful for it. It’s something I won't forget."

It was Riise's first appearance at Anfield since he left Liverpool to join AS Roma in the summer of 2008.

He admits it was a somewhat surreal appearance.

"It felt really good to be back at Anfield," said Riise. "I was excited all day and had been looking forward to the game all season. It was great to come back.

"I think the team performed well and on a personal level I think I had a good game, and I'm happy with the three points.

"I said to Brede Hangeland in the warm up that it felt so weird because I'd played so many games here, and now I was playing against Liverpool.

"It was a strange experience, but I enjoyed it and I’m really grateful for the response I got from the crowd.

"After seven years, they never forget what you've done here – and I am thankful for that."

Liverpool will now turn their attentions to Saturday's FA Cup final showdown with Chelsea at Wembley – and Riise admits he'll be cheering his former side on.

He said: "Of course I'll be watching. Seven years with one club - you don't just forget that.

"I'll be supporting Liverpool and hopefully they'll get a good win."

Сподели другаде

Гост Red One

Страшен беше Рийзе. Толкова ме беше яд, като си тръгна. И за Дани Мърфи ме беше много яд.

Сподели другаде

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Гост S.Gerrard

Former Fulham captain Brede Hangeland says he was "immensely disappointed" to be informed that his contract with the Cottagers was being cancelled via email rather than in person.

Midfielders Damien Duff and Steve Sidwell have also been released, along with Giorgos Karagounis, Mahamadou Diarra and John Arne Riise.

Сподели другаде

• 2 months later...
Гост S.Gerrard

John Arne Riise has signed on the dotted line for Cypriot side APOEL, following his release by Fulham at the end of last season, so watch out Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.

Сподели другаде

• 6 months later...
Гост S.Gerrard

Who is the best player John Arne Riise has ever played with?

Easy. Steven Gerrard.

“Best player I’ve played with without a doubt."

“I’m really privileged to have played with him because Stevie will go down as the greatest of all time. He’s an amazing person also and for me he was the perfect captain.”

And to think, this was a man who played with Salif Diao and Steve Sidwell...

Сподели другаде

Гост S.Gerrard
EXCLUSIVE: John Arne Riise - Be a Kop hero against United and you'll be remembered forever

Part one of our exclusive interview with former Liverpool FC full-back ahead of crunch Anfield showdown

John Arne Riise remembers the sensation when the ball left his boot.

“It was the cleanest strike I’ve ever made,” said the popular former Liverpool left-back.

“It was like when you hit the perfect golf shot – it was so smooth. I barely felt like I’d hit it.”

It was November 4 2001. After Didi Hamann had touched a 30-yard free-kick into his path, Riise unleashed an unstoppable drive which flew past Fabien Barthez and cannoned in off the underside of the bar. It was clocked at 70 miles per hour.

Anfield erupted. Riise, who had signed for Liverpool from Monaco for £4million the previous summer, had marked his first taste of the white-hot Liverpool v Manchester United rivalry with the decisive contribution. The Norway international bagged the second in a cherished 3-1 victory.

His run from the halfway line to score in the derby at Goodison two months earlier had first prompted the Kop to sing about ‘how he scored that goal’ but after the United game it was chanted with added gusto.

Riise went on to score 31 times in 348 appearances during a seven-year spell at Liverpool as he won the Champions League, the FA Cup, the League Cup and two UEFA Super Cups.

But he believes it was that iconic strike against United 14 years ago which enabled him to really establish himself at the club.

“Out of all the goals I’ve ever scored, that’s my favourite because of the oppenents, the timing of it and how I hit that ball,” he said.

“That one and the one against Everton did a lot for me. It really made my name stick with the Liverpool fans. That made it easy for me to connect with them.

“It was a great moment and I feel privileged to have scored that goal. I know the fans still sing about it now and that means a lot.”

I hope Alberto Moreno can kick-start his Liverpool career with the winner against United

Now 34 and playing for APOEL in Cyprus, Riise will be roaring the Reds on from afar when United visit Anfield once again on Sunday afternoon.

He knows from experience that heroes in this fixture are never forgotten and he would love to see current left-back Alberto Moreno take the glory.

Riise has been impressed by the young Spaniard since his £12million move from Sevilla last summer.

“Maybe Sunday will kick-start someone’s Liverpool career like it did for me in 2001,” he said.

“Scoring that goal helped me so much and it could be the same for one of the current side.

“Who knows, maybe Moreno will get the winner. I hope he does.

“Moreno is my kind of player. He loves to attack. He’s quick and he strikes the ball well. He scored a great goal against Tottenham.

“A lot of fans on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram tell me that this lad plays like me. I think he’s the best left-back Liverpool have had since I left.”

Looking back, I should have stayed at Liverpool - it's the best club in the world

It has proved to be a problem position for the Reds since Riise was sold to Roma in 2008.

Andrea Dossena, Fabio Aurelio, Emiliano Insua, Paul Konchesky, Aly Cissokho and Jose Enrique have all tried and failed to make that role their own.

Riise went on to return to the Premier League in 2011 and spent three seasons with Fulham but he wishes he had remained at Anfield for longer.

“Looking back, I should have stayed,” he said.

“You never want to leave a club like Liverpool. It’s the best club in the world but at that time I felt like I had no choice.

“Liverpool were paying a lot of money to sign Dossena and I knew he would be given three or four months to establish himself.

“At that stage of my career I didn’t want to spend that time on the bench. I needed to play.

“With hindsight, I should have stayed and fought for my place but it’s easy to look back and say that.

“I went on to have some great times at Roma and Fulham, and now I’m enjoying myself in Cyprus.”

I'm not convinced by United - I think Liverpool will be too strong for them

Riise’s close affinity with Liverpool remains and he has been delighted by how Brendan Rodgers has transformed the club’s season.

Since losing at Old Trafford in December, the Reds have taken 33 points out of a possible 39. Victory over United on Sunday would lift them into the top four for the first time since August.

Riise expects Rodgers’ side to emerge triumphant from an eagerly awaited showdown.

“I still watch Liverpool whenever I can,” he said.

“They didn’t have the best of starts to the season but now they’re back to where they should be and playing good football.

“Last season was unbelievable. They were fantastic to watch. This season they aren’t playing brilliantly every week but winning games without playing particularly well is the sign of a good side.

“There are a few players this season who have really stepped up.

“Jordan Henderson, I have to be honest, I wasn’t a big fan when he signed for Liverpool. I didn’t know if he was right for the club.

“But he has really changed my mind. He has been amazing. He has scored important goals and taken on responsibility with the vice-captaincy.

“Philippe Coutinho has been unbelievable. He creates chances and has scored some stunning goals.

“Sunday is a really important game for the top four and I think Liverpool will be too strong for United.

“I’m not convinced by United. I don’t think they are a top four team.”

Riise, who will return to Anfield on March 29 to take part in the Liverpool All-Star charity match, has recently launched a new blog at johnariise.com

“I feel like I have so much to talk about,” he added.

“I want to give the fans inside information about certain games, and what the players are thinking and what’s going through our minds.

“I’ve always been a player who likes to connect with the fans. I’ve had a great relationship with the fans at all the clubs I’ve been at, This is my chance to give something back to the fans for all their support.”

EXCLUSIVE: John Arne Riise - I'm getting goosebumps over my Liverpool FC return

Part two of our exclusive chat with the former Reds left-back, who vows to keep playing until past his 40th birthday

John Arne Riise says he’s getting “goosebumps” at the thought of returning to Anfield later this month as he vowed to keep playing into his 40s.

The Norwegian left-back will be part of the Steven Gerrard XI against the Jamie Carragher XI in the Liverpool All-Star charity match on Sunday, March 29.

The 2005 Champions League winner, who has been granted permission by his Cypriot club APOEL to feature, is relishing the prospect of gracing Anfield in front of a sell-out crowd once again.

Riise made the last of his 348 appearances for the Reds back in 2008.

“When the call came asking me to play I was delighted,” Riise told the ECHO.

“With it being the international break, it’s perfect timing and I feel privileged to be invited. It’s difficult to put into words what walking out on to that pitch will mean to me. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

“It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had in football. The noise, the smell – everything about Anfield. When I went back there with Fulham I got an unbelievable reception. I remember going towards the Kop and they were all stood up singing my song. That’s something I’ll never forget.

“This time I’ll be going back to play for Liverpool one last time and that will be a dream come true. I never thought I’d get the chance to do that again.

“It’s going to be fun to meet up with all the lads again and it’s going to be one of the biggest experiences of my career.

“It’s been seven years since I left Liverpool but I still get so many great comments off fans on social media. They are so respectful. I can’t praise the fans enough. They mean so much to me and gave me so many joyful moments.

“The city of Liverpool has changed so much since I arrived in 2001. It’s a nicer city now but the people are still as lovely as they were then.

“I’m going to listen to all the songs and enjoy everything about the day.”

At my age you have to work that hard to keep up - I hope to keep playing until I’m past 40

After his contract with Fulham expired last summer, Riise penned a two-year deal with APOEL.

The Nicosia based club are currently second in the Cypriot League, a point adrift of leaders Apollon FC.

They are currently involved in the championship round – which sees the top six play each other home and away after the regular season to determine the champions.

“I had a difficult start because I came into the club after a few months off. That’s not an easy thing to do. For three months I didn’t know where I would end up playing,” he added.

“It took a while to get back to where I needed to be. But now I’m enjoying it and recent months have been good. The team has been doing well and I’ve been scoring a few goals.

“With eight games to go we are one point behind and on Saturday we have a big game against the leaders. We’re also in the semi-finals of the cup.”

Riise will be 35 in September but retirement remains far from this thoughts.

“My body is in good shape and I think I’m working harder now than I’ve ever worked in my career,” he said.

“At my age you have to work that hard to keep up. I hope to keep playing until I’m past 40.

“I know not many outfield players play until that age but why not? I’ve been quite lucky with injuries in my career and I’ve been careful with my body.

“As long as I stay injury free I can do it. I love a challenge.

“I’ll keep pushing myself. There’s pain from working hard but I get a buzz from reaching my targets. I want to get the most out of my career I can.”

Сподели другаде