Роджър Хънт

Гост S.Gerrard

Препоръчан пост

Гост S.Gerrard

player_hunt.jpg

Birthdate: 20 July 1938
Birthplace: Golborne, England
Other clubs: Stockton Heath (1954), Bury (1955), Stockton Heath (2 / 1955-57), Devizes Town (1957-58), Stockton Heath (3 / 1958), Bolton Wanderers (1969-72), Hellenic (loan 1971)
Bought from: Stockton Heath (3)
Signed for LFC: 29.07.1958
International debut: 04.04.1962 vs. Austria
International caps: 34/18 - 15.01.1969
Liverpool debut: 09.09.1959
Last appearance: 13.12.1969
Debut goal: 09.09.1959
Last goal: 26.11.1969
Contract expiry: 16.12.1969
Win ratio: 52.24% W: 257 😧 115 L: 120
Games/goals ratio: 1.73
Honours: League Championship 1963/64, 1965/66; Second Division 1961/62; FA Cup 1965
LFC league games/goals: 404 / 244
Total LFC games/goals: 492 / 285

http://www.lfchistor...yer/Profile/326
http://int.soccerway...er-hunt/107884/
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Roger_Hunt

Player profile

Roger Hunt signed for Liverpool after attracting scout Bill Jones' attention playing for Stockton Heath in the Mid-Cheshire league. Hunt had only played six reserve matches in which he scored eight goals before making his Reds' debut against Scunthorpe at Anfield in the absence of Billy Liddell on 9 September 1959. He played like a seasoned pro and fondly remembers this occasion as he told LFC.tv in February 2009: "The game was a lot quicker than what I was used to. We were one-nil up when we got a free-kick around the hour mark. Jimmy Melia spotted me and played a short pass into my stride. I looked up and hit it instinctively. I knew it was in as soon as I struck it and I can't describe how good it felt to see it smash in off the crossbar." Hunt was praised by the media and the News Chronicle and Daily Dispatch said: "They do find 'em at Golborne: Peter Kane, world fly-weight champion, Bert Llewellyn, goal-scoring Crewe player... and now Roger Hunt, 21, who had a dream debut for Liverpool. Hunt, stand-in for Billy Liddell, may not be an orthodox centre-forward, but by lying deep he emphasised his footballing ability, creative artistry and control." Hunt immediately showed all his greatest strengths. He was quick, strong, skilful and possessed a rocket of a shot. More importantly he never gave up and worked his socks off for the team. "I knew perfectly well that I wasn't an out-and-out natural, the sort who can make a ball talk so it was down to me to compensate for it in other ways," Hunt said. "I made up my mind that if I didn't succeed at Anfield it wouldn't be for the lack of determination. From the first day I threw myself into training, ran and tackled for everything and practised my ball skills at every opportunity."

Hunt joined a club that had been agonisingly close to gaining promotion to the top division again, twice finishing third and twice fourth in the previous four seasons. There would be disappointment again in 1959/60 with another third place in Shankly's first season as manager. Hunt's partnership with former Everton star Dave Hickson worked well but when Hickson departed and Ian St John arrived in the 1961/62 promotion season Hunt started to fire on all cylinders. He scored no less than 41 goals in 41 League matches, including five hat-tricks. Hunt made his England debut that spring and went to the World Cup in 1962, but did not play a single match. The next few years were golden ones for Liverpool and for Hunt. He scored 129 times in 160 games during the next four seasons, a period in which the club twice won the League Championship and had good cup runs at home and in Europe. His greatest personal achievement at club level was certainly the FA Cup Final of 1965 against Leeds, a competition Liverpool had never won before. Hunt's stooping header broke the deadlock early in extra-time before St John scored the winner. The World Cup was held on English soil in 1966 and Hunt played in all six games, scoring three goals as England lifted the game's biggest prize. Often criticised by the Southern press that preferred the more flamboyant Jimmy Greaves, Hunt's international record speaks for itself - he was on the losing side only twice in 34 internationals. Sir Bobby Moore knew all about his qualities: "Roger Hunt is a player's player. He is possibly appreciated more by those who play with him and against him than by those who watch him."

Hunt was Liverpool's top goalscorer eight years in a row from 1962-1969 and on 7 November 1967 he broke Gordon Hodgson's goalscoring record at the club by netting his 242nd goal against TSV Munich. Despite his scoring prowess he could not please all people as Tommy Smith remembers: "We used to call him 'Over-the-bar Hunt'. Everyone used to get mail, praising you, calling you names or simply asking for an autograph. Roger used to get a letter on a regular basis from a lad, who clearly didn't like him. It always used to start. 'Dear Over-the-bar-Hunt. I see you missed another couple of sitters on Saturday.'" In March 1969 the normally mild-mannered Hunt caused a sensation when he was substituted in a cup replay at Anfield against Leicester by taking his shirt off and angrily throwing it in the direction of the dug-out. Although he started 1969/70 still as first choice, he lost his place to Phil Boersma in the autumn. There would be one final day to remember in front of the supporters who had always given him such great encouragement. With time running out and a 1-1 scoreline against Southampton, Shankly brought on Hunt to replace Alec Lindsay and he responded by scoring twice in two minutes! Those were his last League goals for Liverpool and seven weeks later he signed for Bolton Wanderers. Ian Rush broke Hunt's overall scoring record for Liverpool on 18 October 1992 but Hunt's League tally of 245 goals is still a club record. Hunt was awarded an MBE in 2000. Whether he will be knighted one day remains to be seen but he has anyway been called "Sir Roger" by the Kop for a quarter of a century.

]Hunt was born in Golborne, Lancashire, on July 20 1938, and began his career with Stockton Heath of the Mid-Cheshire League, where he came to the attention of Liverpool scout Bill Jones when he was at the relatively advanced age of 20. Jones had actually gone to watch another player who was featuring for Stockton's opponents, Knutsford. That relatively late entry into the professional ranks of the game did not prevent Hunt from making an immediate impact on the Anfield first team.

Shankly gave Hunt his debut for the Reds in a Second Division fixture at Anfield against Scunthorpe United on September 9 1959, in which the forward scored in a 2-0 victory. The striker's subsequent record at Liverpool was phenomenal.

After helping the club win promotion from the Second Division in 1962 he went on to score 286 goals in 492 appearances, 245 of those strikes coming in the league - a club record that still stands. His partnership with Scotsman Ian St John became one of the most feared in the English First Division and allowed the Merseysiders to win the title in 1964 and 1966, along with the FA Cup in 1965, after years of unremarkable mediocrity.

His role at Anfield was a penalty box predator, a pure goal scorer who was fed by two out-and-out wingers in the shape of Ian Callaghan and Peter Thompson. Or as Bill Shankly put it, "We wanted him to concentrate on goal scoring, in the same way Jimmy Greaves did at Tottenham. Mind you, Roger didn't just slide them in quietly, like Jimmy. He blasted them in."

The goals also brought him to the notice of England, where he had to adjust to a different kind of striking role, as Alf Ramsey built a hard-working side based around a 4-3-3 formation, with the full-backs providing attacking width and Bobby Charlton sitting behind two strikers. The ethos of Ramsey's team was built upon hard-running and graft, and Hunt fitted in perfectly, his team-mates appreciating the effort he put in on behalf of the side.

"And even if he didn't score," international colleague Martin Peters remarked much later, "we all knew that Roger would run his socks off for the good of the team."

Hunt, initially handed the No. 21 shirt in the 1966 World Cup squad, worked his way up the pecking order to become indispensable to Ramsey's plans. He was the only forward to start every game of the finals, which were, of course, held on home soil; he scored three goals in the process, despite the reservations of the press about his selection.

The key moment of that World Cup occurred in the final, and Hunt would play a significant role in what was to be one of the most debated goals in the competition's history - Geoff Hurst's infamous 'in off the bar' second and England's third. Whether or not the whole of the ball crossed the line has been debated in England and Germany just about ever since, but, in the eyes of many, not least former Arsenal striker Ian Wright, Hunt could have pre-empted the need for such debate by simply slamming the rebounding ball into the net.

He didn't, of course, choosing to wheel away in celebration instead, something which Hurst and others have indicated as positive proof that it did indeed cross the line.

After the World Cup, Hunt remained an England regular until January 1969, when the criticism of the public and the media became too burdensome for him. Hunt had been selected 34 times by Ramsey, scoring 18 goals in these fixtures. In the seven years since his debut, England had lost only two games in which he had played.

Around the same time, Shankly's great Liverpool side was ageing and key personnel were being replaced. Hunt decided to move on and played for Bolton Wanderers until he retired in 1972, having netted 24 times in 76 games for the Trotters.

His career is probably best summed up by Bobby Charlton, who said of Hunt, "You could make huge plans around him, and he was greatly missed when he wasn't there."[/b]

HONOURS

Liverpool: First Division Championship 1963-64 & 1965-66
FA Cup 1965
Second Division Championship 1961-62
England: World Cup Winner 1966 (34 caps, 18 goals) 

Hunt was awarded the MBE by the British government in 2000, after a media campaign brought attention to the fact that he, the late Alan Ball, George Cohen, Nobby Stiles and Ray Wilson had received no recognition for their World Cup win. The other six team members, plus manager Alf Ramsey, had already been honoured in one way or another.

DID YOU KNOW ... That Roger Hunt scored the first goal ever shown on BBC's flagship football programme 'Match of the Day'? Sir Roger was shown netting against Arsenal in a 3-2 victory at Anfield on August 22, 1964.

Сподели другаде

• 11 months later...
Гост S.Gerrard
England Legend Roger Hunt Criticises Rafael Benitez's Rotation Policy At Liverpool

Spaniard gambled with Reds' Champions' League future, says 1966 World Cup winner

England World Cup winner Roger Hunt has hit out at Rafael Benitez's selection tinkering, claiming the Liverpool manager has gambled with the club's future participation in the Champions League.

A desperately disappointing Premier League campaign saw the Reds finish seventh, failing to build on 2008-09's second-place finish, unable to replace Xabi Alonso at the hub of midfield and suffering with injuries to their leading lights that exposed a chronic lack of depth in the squad.

This thinness of resources made Benitez's insistence on rotation inexplicable to many, who felt Liverpool could only win consistently with their best eleven on the pitch - a suspicion perhaps confirmed by the club's dismal season.

"I have been a big fan of Benitez but I have told him that he makes too many changes," Hunt told the Sunday Times.

"There is nothing worse for a player than playing well and yet knowing that you are going to be subbed.

"Call me old-fashioned, but I believe you play your best team all the time: that is what Bill Shankly used to do.

He added: "it will be even harder now to get back into the top four, especially with teams such as Tottenham and Manchester City.

"It won’t be easy for Liverpool."

Сподели другаде

• 1 month later...
Гост S.Gerrard
Hunt's high fives

When it comes to honours and accolades, Liverpool's all-time leading goalscorer in the league, Roger Hunt, is right up there with the best of them.

Promotion, League titles, an FA Cup triumph and a World Cup winners' medal are just some of the extraordinary feats the legendary number eight achieved during his time at Anfield, in a career that would rival anyone in the English game.

But out of the 286 goals he plundered for the Reds, what does he regard as his finest? And what does he view as his best moment in L4?

In Hunt's high fives we offer a bite-sized insight into a glorious Anfield career.

http://assets.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/assets/hunt,_roger14aaa.jpg

TOP 5 MOMENTS

1 Signing for Liverpool as a professional footballer

2 Scoring a goal on my debut against Scunthorpe

3 Winning the First Division for the first time

4 Winning the 1965 FA Cup - the first in Liverpool's history

5 Breaking Gordon Hodgson's goalscoring record

TOP 5 GOALS

1 My first ever goal against Scunthorpe

2 Sixth round of the FA Cup - we beat our bogey team Leicester in a quarter-final replay and went on to win it

3 The fifth goal in the 5-0 win over Arsenal when we clinched the title in 1964

4 The two goals against Chelsea when we won our second title with a 2-1 win at Anfield

5 I smashed one in from distance in an away match at Sunderland - I didn't often do that, so it was special. But at the end of the day, the beauty of scoring is that every goal is a great goal.

ALL-TIME REDS XI

Too many great players to mention. We've had some fantastic goalkeepers, some wonderful defenders and top drawer midfielders. That's not to mention how blessed the club has been with strikers. I wouldn't know where to start!

Сподели другаде

• 3 years later...
Гост Scarface

Happy birthday Sir Rodger Hunt.

1003327_4773138658021_1790115897_n.jpg

Happy birthday 'Sir' Roger Hunt, The only player to have an honorary knighthood bestowed upon him by the Anfield faithful.

Quite why he wasn't made a 'Sir' by the Queen is still hard to fathom, especially as he was the only Red in the starting line-up when England won the World Cup in 1966.

Without his many net-busters, Liverpool may never have escaped the depression of life in Division Two and regained their mantle as the country's top team

Сподели другаде

• 8 years later...

Да почива в мир. 

Хънт е вторият най-резултатен футболист в цялата история на Ливърпул. Той пристига в клуба на 20-годишна възраст пристига в клуба от аматьорския Стоктън Хийт и остава с червената фланелка 11 сезона. Неговите 285 гола бяха номер 1 в историята на клуба до 1992-а година, когато беше изпреварен от Йън Ръш. Но само за първенство няма друг, който да е отбелязал повече от неговите 244.

През 1964-а и 1966-а година те стават шампиони на Англия, а през 1965-а година Ливърпул печели дългоочакваната първа в клубната витрина Купа на страната. Обичан от феновете, той е наричан Сър Роджър. С националния отбор на Англия освен титлата от 1966-а година, той може да се похвали с 18 гола в 34 срещи.

https://7sport.net/news/livarpul-skarbi-za-nepodrazhaemiya-rodzhar-hant/

Сподели другаде